Health Insurance Resources
The Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan is offered to eligible Mason students. If you are not eligible for the plan, these resources may be useful.
The Mason Alumni Association has options offering insurance coverage to Mason graduates.
Healthcare.gov, run by the US Department of Health and Human Services, offers information about insurance, an insurance finder tool, information about the Affordable Care Act, the Marketplace Exchange, and other information about healthcare. The site has some helpful tips for college graduates.
Plan for Your Health has useful information about health insurance.
Tips to help you understand your Insurance
- Read your insurance plan Summary of Benefits and Coverage and Exclusions each year. Your plan details will explain what medical expenses your insurance will cover, any annual deductible and applicable co-pays, plus other useful information.
- Review commonly used insurance terms. Your insurance plan will also have commonly used terms defined in the glossary.
- Definitions in a variety of languages, including Chinese, English, French, Korean, Russian, and Spanish are available at nystateofhealth.ny.gov.
- Contact your provider’s customer service if you have any questions or would like clarification about your coverage.
- Keep all bills and coverage letters for reference.
- Learn how the Affordable Care Act may affect you. Many preventative medical services may be fully covered under the Affordable Care Act. Review your insurance plan summary of benefits and coverage for details.
- Visit healthcare.gov for more information about insurance and healthcare.
- The Consumer Reports video below helps explain how your premium, deductible, and other terms contribute to the cost of your health insurance plan.
Consumer Reports video “Understanding the cost of your health insurance”
Student Health Insurance
- Aetna Customer Service 1-800-878-1945
- Glossary of Insurance Terms
2017-2018 Plan Documents and Benefits Summary (scroll down on Aetna webpage)
2016-2017 Plan Documents and Benefits Summary (scroll down on Aetna webpage)
Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30 – 4:30pm, Friday 12:30 – 4:30pm
Phone: (703) 993-2827 or (703) 993-7634
Address: Student Union Building (SUB) I, Rooms 2345 & 2349
4400 University Drive, MS 2D3, Fairfax VA, 22030