Tips to help you understand your Insurance
- Read your insurance plan Summary of Benefits and Coverage and Exclusions each year. Your plan details will explain what medical expenses your insurance will cover, any annual deductible and applicable co-pays, plus other useful information.
- Visit your insurance provider’s website (if available), it will usually have tools to help you find doctors who accept your health insurance plan as well as great information about your plan.
- Students with the university student health plan: UnitedHealthcare information and videos to explain insurance terms and reviews how to set up your MyAccount: https://www.uhcsr.com/video
- Review commonly used insurance terms. Your insurance plan will also have commonly used terms defined in the glossary.
- Definitions in a variety of languages, including Chinese, English, French, Korean, Russian, and Spanish are available at nystateofhealth.ny.gov.
- Contact your provider’s customer service if you have any questions or would like clarification about your coverage.
- Keep all bills and coverage letters for reference.
- Many preventive medical services (like an annual flu shot) may be fully covered under the Affordable Care Act when provided by an in-network provider. Review your insurance plan summary of benefits and coverage for details.
- Visit healthcare.gov for more information about insurance and healthcare.