Eligible domestic students may enroll themselves and eligible dependents online on the Aetna Student Health website during open enrollment periods for the Student Health Insurance plan (which includes the Vital Savings Program) or just the Vital Savings Discount Program.
International students may enroll eligible dependents on their George Mason University Student Health Plan during the open enrollment period.
If a student experiences a significant life change (qualified event) after the open enrollment period, they may be eligible to enroll in the student health insurance plan.
Enroll online for the Aetna Student Health Plan
Open Enrollment Dates
||Final Deadline to Enroll|
|Annual Open Enrollment||July 12, 2017||September 15, 2017|
|Spring/Summer Open Enrollment||December 5, 2017||February 15, 2018|
|Summer Open Enrollment||Early April 2018||June 15, 2018|
Summer Open Enrollment is only for those students who did not purchase the plan during the Spring/Summer Open Enrollment period. Spring/Summer Open Enrollment includes the summer dates.
Eligibility Credit Criteria
- Undergraduate Students are eligible to enroll if they are currently taking at least 3 credit hours.
- Graduate Students, Master, Certificate, or Non-degree graduate students are eligible to enroll if they are currently taking at least 3 credit hours.
- Ph.D. or Doctoral Program Students enrolled in a doctoral program are eligible to sign up.
- Students taking less than the required credit hours, but are completing their final course work to obtain their degree for the current academic year, are also eligible to enroll.
If a student is enrolled in the Mason Student Health Insurance Plan during the fall or spring semesters, no classes are required during the summer semester to maintain plan eligibility.
Is your healthcare.gov insurance plan ending December 31? Will you need coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2018? Contact the Insurance Office for information about the Aetna Student Health insurance plan.
Dec. 5, 2017 – Feb. 15, 2018
Spring/Summer Open Enrollment for domestic students and dependents of domestic and international students in the plan.
NEW International and INTO students
Dec. 5, 2017 – Feb. 15, 2018
Waiver submission for new International students only. Contact the Insurance Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss waiver applications. Deadline is February 15, 2018.
INTO students: contact the Insurance Office for waiver information
Student Health Insurance
- Aetna Customer Service 1-800-878-1945
- Glossary of Insurance Terms
2017-2018 Plan Documents and Benefits Summary (scroll down on Aetna webpage)
2016-2017 Plan Documents and Benefits Summary (scroll down on Aetna webpage)
Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30 – 4:30pm, Friday 12:30 – 4:30pm
Phone: (703) 993-2827 or (703) 993-7634
Address: Student Union Building (SUB) I, Rooms 2345 & 2349
4400 University Drive, MS 2D3, Fairfax VA, 22030