What is the Student Health Clinic doing during covid-19 for patient safety?
We take safety very seriously. Student Health Services continues to adjust to support the healthcare needs of our community and follow recommendations provided by the Virginia Department of Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to maintain the safety of patients and healthcare workers. Some of the measures that have been implemented in our clinic to protect the health of patients and healthcare workers:
- To help prevent the spread of illness, appointments are now primarily conducted using video telehealth.
- To be able to screen for covid-19 and allow Student Health staff to take appropriate precautions, students cannot walk into the clinic. Students must call for appointment scheduling and upon arrival at the clinic for the appointment.
- Patients are screened for symptoms and potential exposure to covid-19 when being scheduled and again before entering the clinic.
- Patients will have their temperature checked before their appointment.
- Patients must wear cloth face coverings or masks.
- Staff are wearing face masks and appropriate personal protective equipment.
- We have enhanced our cleaning and disinfecting protocols.
- We are scheduling to allow more space between patients in-clinic and rearranging spaces in waiting areas to allow for social distancing.
- Appointment forms and check-in is completed on the patient’s phone or other internet-capable device, reducing a “touch-point” within the clinic.
- No visitors are allowed with patients at their appointment unless medically or legally necessary.