As you are packing to come to Mason, do not forget to pack your first aid kit! Here are some useful items to have as part of a basic first aid kit in your dorm or home. You may want to include additional items depending on your needs.
It’s helpful to have medications for a headache or illness to avoid a trip to the store when you are not feeling well. Always follow label instructions!
- Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen– For headaches and other aches and pains.
- Antacids – For upset stomach
- Decongestant; Cough expectorant; Cough suppressant – For relief of cold & flu symptoms
- Cough drops/sore throat lozenges – Soothes irritated, scratchy throats
- Antihistamine – For treating seasonal allergies
For cuts, scrapes or minor burns:
- Different sizes of adhesive bandages
- Antibiotic ointment – To prevent infections in a wound or a minor burn.
For sprains, strains and other similar injuries:
- Elastic bandage – To wrap and provide compression for sprains and strains.
- Ice pack and warm pack or heating pad
- Tweezers – For removing splinters or ticks
- Thermometer – You will not know if you have a fever without a thermometer
- Copy of your health insurance card.
- Personal medical information such as: allergies to medicine or food, doctor’s name and office information, chronic medical conditions, medications taken on a regular basis, and emergency contact information.