If an International student has a qualifying health insurance policy and wishes to be exempted from the Mason Student Health Insurance Plan, they must apply for an insurance waiver. You must read the waiver requirements before applying for an insurance waiver/exemption. Your insurance policy must meet the criteria listed in the Waiver Eligibility Requirements.
You may only apply for an insurance waiver from the Mason Student Health Insurance Plan if you have not filed any medical claims from any healthcare provider, including Student Health Services, for services, such as immunizations. International students must be checked in with the Office of International Programs and Services before you are able to apply for an insurance waiver.
Waiver Application Deadlines
You must apply for an insurance waiver each (Academic) Year; it is annually processed. Your insurance waiver will NOT roll over into the next Academic Year.
You must submit your waiver application by the final listed deadline. Only NEW students at Mason for Spring and Summer semesters may submit their waiver applications as listed below.
|Fall Waiver Application
||July 19, 2017||September 15, 2017|
|NEW Student Spring Waiver Application
||December 5, 2017||February 15, 2018|
|NEW Student Summer Waiver Application||Your payment due date||Your payment due date|
Waiver Eligibility Requirements
If an International Student has a qualifying health insurance policy and wishes to be exempted from the Mason Student Health Insurance Plan, the insurance policy must meet the following criteria.
An international student may apply for a waiver/exemption:
- The student has a scholarship or government sponsored program, that provides an U.S. health insurance plan for the student and is Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant. National health coverage and/or travel insurance do not meet these criteria. OR
- The student or student’s spouse or parent, has an U.S. employer who provides health insurance for the student and is Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant.
The qualifying policy (under A or B above) must meet the following criteria:
- An annual deductible not exceeding $500;
- The policy must be valid until August 15, 2018;
- The cost of medical evacuation ($50,000) and repatriation ($25,000) back to the student’s home country.
Online waivers take about 2 weeks to process. Waiver applications will be audited by Aetna Student Health. Student Health Services reserves the right to make a final waiver decision. To verify approval of your application, please check your Patriot Web account. If your application was approved, the balance of the Mason student health insurance premium will be $0.
How to Submit Your Waiver
- Make sure your personal health insurance plan meets the Waiver Eligibility Requirements
- Fall and Spring Semesters: Go to the Aetna Student Health website.
- Summer Semester: Contact the Insurance Office
- From the Aetna Student Health website, select the link “Enroll/Waive: Student Health Insurance Plan”
- Read the waiver application instructions
- Complete the application and submit it
- Waiver applications must be submitted by the application deadline
Is your healthcare.gov insurance plan ending December 31? Will you need coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2018? Contact the Insurance Office for information about the Aetna Student Health insurance plan.
Dec. 5, 2017 – Feb. 15, 2018
Spring/Summer Open Enrollment for domestic students and dependents of domestic and international students in the plan.
NEW International and INTO students
Dec. 5, 2017 – Feb. 15, 2018
Waiver submission for new International students only. Contact the Insurance Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss waiver applications. Deadline is February 15, 2018.
INTO students: contact the Insurance Office for waiver information
Student Health Insurance
- Aetna Customer Service 1-800-878-1945
- Glossary of Insurance Terms
2017-2018 Plan Documents and Benefits Summary (scroll down on Aetna webpage)
2016-2017 Plan Documents and Benefits Summary (scroll down on Aetna webpage)
Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30 – 4:30pm, Friday 12:30 – 4:30pm
Phone: (703) 993-2827 or (703) 993-7634
Address: Student Union Building (SUB) I, Rooms 2345 & 2349
4400 University Drive, MS 2D3, Fairfax VA, 22030