Immunization FAQs


Please take the immunization record form to your current health care professional along with any records they may not have. The health care professional will complete the form and administer any missing vaccines.

Records may be located by checking with your parents, high school, the healthcare provider who administered your vaccinations, previous university (excluding 2-year community college), or military service branch.

Please keep in mind that the records you locate may not be complete, you may still require additional immunizations.

Measles, Mumps, Rubella

If you are sure that you have been vaccinated against the measles, mumps, and rubella you can have titers drawn. A sample of your blood will be tested to determine the status of your immunity.

Tetanus, Diphtheria

If you do not have documentation proving that you have been vaccinated against tetanus and diphtheria you will have to be re-immunized.

Hepatitis B

If you do not have documentation to support that you have been immunized against Hepatitis B you can have titers drawn, be re-immunized, or sign a waiver stating you do not wish to do so.

Meningitis (Meningococcal)

If you do not have documentation to support that you have been immunized against meningitis you may either be re-immunized or sign a waiver stating you do not wish to do so.


All students must submit the Tuberculosis screening questionnaire.

A titer is a laboratory test that measures the presence and amount of antibodies in blood. A titer may be used to prove immunity to disease. A blood sample is taken and tested.

If the test is positive (above a particular known value) the individual has immunity. If the test is negative (no immunity) or equivocal (not enough immunity) you need to be vaccinated.

A Titer Lab Report is generated by the lab that tested the blood sample. The Titer Lab Report must include the test type, exact values, signature, and date.

Students should contact their health insurance provider to check their insurance coverage for immunizations and titers. Student Health Services cannot guarantee coverage, payment or reimbursement by your insurance company.

Students who have purchased the Aetna Student Health Insurance plan have necessary immunizations and/or titers covered at 100% at Student Health Services. Details can be found in your Plan Details and Summary.

Yes. All students, part-time, full-time, degree, and non-degree students, living on or off campus, must submit immunization records in order to attend classes at George Mason University.

Yes, all Mason students are required to submit their immunization records.

No. You will be unable to register without an up-to-date tetanus and diphtheria booster. The booster must be administered every 10 years. Students receiving their decennial booster must receive Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), or Td.

You can schedule an appointment with Student Health Services (703-993-2135) for your immunizations for a minimal fee. You can also receive immunization from your healthcare provider or local health department.

According to Virginia State Law, students under the age of 21 must receive a dose of meningococcal vaccine at or after their 16th birthday, or sign a waiver indicating that they do not wish to be vaccinated against the disease and understand the risks.

Signing the waiver does not mean a student cannot be vaccinated in the future.

According to Virginia State Law, students must either be immunized against Hepatitis B,  or show proof of positive immunity, or sign a waiver indicating that they do not wish to be vaccinated against the disease and understand the risks. Students must complete a series of 3 injections before they are considered completely immune to Hepatitis B.

Signing the waiver does not mean a student cannot be vaccinated in the future.

Yes, these are childhood immunizations and usually provide lifelong immunity, provided it was administered after 1967 and after your first birthday.

Please note that all students must show documentation that they have had two doses of the Measles, two doses of the Mumps and two doses of the Rubella vaccine.

A history of disease is NOT accepted as proof of immunization. It is recommended to have titers drawn to verify sufficient immunity. If immunity is not positive, you will be required to receive MMR vaccinations.

The Tuberculin (TB) screening is conducted through a questionnaire where the student identifies any possible risk factors for tuberculosis infection and disease. This is part of the Immunization Record Form and all students must submit the TB screening.

Tuberculin (TB) testing is a procedure for diagnosis of Latent TB Infection. This test is performed by either a tuberculin skin test or a blood test (T-Spot or QuantiFeron).

If a tuberculin (TB) skin test is required for you, the test must be less than 6 months old from the first day of classes at Mason. A tuberculin skin test, a quantiferon blood test, or a t-spot test will be accepted to meet the requirement.

If you have documentation of a previous positive TB test, only provide documentation of history and a chest x-ray report. Provide documentation of medication if taken.

Yes. A Quantiferon test (QFT) is acceptable instead of the tuberculin skin test. If you choose the blood test, please send a copy of the lab report with your immunization records.


Immunization records due by First Day of Fall Classes.

All newly admitted or newly re-admitted summer/fall 2018 students must submit immunization records by the deadline. SHS recommends newly admitted students wait until May to begin submitting records due to upcoming form changes.

Past Due Immunization Records

If you have a hold and late fee, you must complete the immunizations and pay the late fee to Student Health Services to have your hold removed. The hold will be released usually by the end of that business day, if after 4:30 pm it will be processed the next business day.


Note: Do not include social security numbers on your immunization records.

Immunization Office

Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:30- 4:30 pm, Friday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm

Phone: 703-993-2135

Email: *questions only, do not submit records via email*

Address: Student Union Building I (SUB I), Rooms 2347 & 2348

4400 University Drive, MS 2D3, Fairfax VA 22030

Patient Portal

Immunization Forms

Immunization Fees