Are you planning a trip or a study abroad for next semester? Before your trip, take time to prevent illness or injuries while you are away.
Student Health Services can help you prepare for your trip. Student Health offers a Travel Clinic that can assist with reviewing needed immunizations and discuss travel tips. Call (703-993-2831) to schedule an appointment.
- Start preparing for your trip by reviewing your vaccine records with your healthcare provider. Some countries require certain vaccinations for entry. Your healthcare provider can help you make sure your vaccination status is up to date and meets your destination requirements.
- If you take prescription medication, remember to take an adequate supply of your medication with you. Carry your medication (in the original labeled container) with you rather than packing it in your luggage.
- Be prepared for injury or illness by taking a small first-aid kit. You may want to include pain relievers such as Tylenol or ibuprofen, antacids, and an anti-diarrheal such as Pepto-Bismol. Bring antibiotic creams and bandages for minor cuts and burns.
- If you wear glasses or contacts, consider bringing an extra pair or a copy of the prescription for your lenses.
- Remember to take items to protect yourself from the sun, heat or cold, and insects.
- Have a plan for what you would do in case of illness, emergency, or injury while traveling. Know where you would go for help, who could you call or get help from, what are the numbers for police or medical help, etc…