Frequently Asked Questions

Student Health Services answers students’ most frequently asked questions. If you do not see your question here or on our website, please contact us (703-993-2831) and we will be happy to answer.

Student Health Clinic

Eligibility for Students

All currently enrolled students are eligible to receive healthcare at our facilities.

Upon graduation, students may be seen in Student Health Services until the end of the month in which they graduate.

Eligibility for Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff with health concerns are advised to see their health care provider. However if a staff/ faculty member has an acute illness requiring immediate attention, s/he will be seen at Student Health Services. Follow-up care should be provided by the faculty/staff’s health care provider in the community. There will be a $50 charge for the visit in addition to the fees for any lab tests or procedures. Any exceptions have to be approved by the Executive Director of SHS.

Faculty and staff who are medically required to receive blood pressure checks may do so at no charge at Student Health clinics. Please call 703-993-2831 for more information.

Faculty and staff are eligible to use the Allergy Clinic services, Travel Clinic services, and Immunization Clinic services. Please see the list of associated fees for services.

Yes, Student Health Services has walk-in space available for acute or sudden illness or injuries. For a non-urgent or routine concern, please call (703-993-2831) or stop by and make an appointment.

Bring your Mason ID, a method of payment in case there are any fees, and your health insurance card if you have one.

Students may choose to have LabCorp bill their health insurance for lab testing sent to LabCorp. If you would like your health insurance to be billed, you must bring your insurance card to your appointment.

We understand that sometimes you may need to cancel or reschedule an appointment. One of the goals of Student Health Services is to provide quality health care in a timely manner for our patients. Patients should contact Student Health to cancel or reschedule an appointment prior to the appointment time.  Cancelling your appointment with enough notice allows this time to be made available to another patient.

There will be a No-Show fee assessed if a patient misses their appointment and/or does not cancel their appointment at least 4 hours prior to the appointment time.

A patient can cancel an appointment by:

  • Calling Student Health at 703-993-2831 to cancel or reschedule.
  • Emailing to cancel an appointment only.
    • Please include your name, G#, and date/time of your appointment
    • It is helpful to include the words ‘cancel appointment’ in the subject line
    • No additional information is needed in the email
  • Calling the clinic where your appointment is scheduled to cancel or reschedule.
  • Walking into the clinic to cancel or reschedule.

More information about the No-Show fee

Yes. If you have an ongoing or chronic medical concern, please call to schedule an appointment to talk with one of our providers. Please bring or send in your medical records for your appointment.

We can answer questions about services we provide and how we can help support you during your time at Mason. Having regular follow-ups with a health provider can keep you healthy and in class during this important part of your life!

If you are experiencing an immediate or life threatening emergency call 911 or go to the nearest emergency facility.

If Student Health Services is closed and you have a health concern, you may contact our free after-hours nurse advice line (703-993-2831), your primary care provider, an urgent care facility, or an emergency facility.

An urgent care center may be a good resource for non-immediate or non-life threatening concerns when Student Health is closed. Remember to check the facility’s hours of operation. If you have health insurance, check with your insurance provider to find a facility that is “in-network” or a “preferred provider”.

Student Health Services does not provide medical excuse (doctor’s) notes for missed classes or missed work.

Yes, we have board certified doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, and other medical specialists who work together to help you.

No. All currently enrolled George Mason University students are eligible to be seen at Student Health Services whether they have insurance or not. There is no charge to be seen by a healthcare provider, there are fees for supplies, immunizations, lab work,  medications, and some procedures.

Student Health does not bill health insurance. However, if you have health insurance you may use it for outside lab fees, so bring your health insurance card if you have one to your appointment.

Students who have the Aetna Student Health insurance plan do have 100% coverage for services listed in the Plan Design and Benefits document if provided at Mason’s Student Health Services.

There is no charge to be seen by a healthcare provider at Student Health Services.

There are fees for supplies, immunizations, lab tests, medications, and some procedures. Students can ask their healthcare provider about costs during their appointment and we list common fees on our website.

George Mason Student Health Services has implemented a secure, online patient portal.  Currently, students can view and enter immunization records, upload documents, enter insurance information, access any education documents you have received from Student Health, and receive secure messages from your provider. Other features will be made available as we continue with portal implementation.

How to Access the Patient Portal


You will be directed to the log in page operated by InCommon.

You will need to register for the portal if you have not logged in before, and will need your George Mason University Net ID (user ID) and patriot password.

Select “George Mason University” as your school.

Receiving Secure Messages

You will receive an email via your masonlive email informing you that you have a message. You will need to log into the portal to access the message. At this time, patients cannot respond to messages in the portal. The email message will be from: NoReply[at] If you have any questions about the legitimacy of the email, please call 703-993-2831.

Yes. If recommended during your appointment, your healthcare provider will write a prescription that you can have filled at a local pharmacy off-campus.

You can be given a written copy. Or, the prescription can be faxed or called-in to a pharmacy of your choice. Please provide the following information to Student Health to have your prescription faxed or called in:

  • Pharmacy Name
  • Pharmacy Fax Number
  • Pharmacy Phone Number

Student Health does not fill prescription medications. You can take your current prescription or have it faxed to a local pharmacy off-campus.

If you need a refill, you can contact your doctor or you may schedule an appointment with one of our Student Health providers. Bring your prescription with you.  Our providers can discuss your prescription and refill options.

Student Health Services has a selection of common “over-the-counter” medications, these are medicines that can be bought at a store without a prescription. If recommended by your Student Health provider a medication can be dispensed for a fee at your appointment.

Some examples of medicines kept in stock include emergency contraception, allergy medication, medications for colds, and burn cream.


Please take the immunization record form to your current health care professional along with any records they may not have. The health care professional will complete the form and administer any missing vaccines.

Records may be located by checking with your parents, high school, the healthcare provider who administered your vaccinations, previous university (excluding 2-year community college), or military service branch.

Please keep in mind that the records you locate may not be complete, you may still require additional immunizations.

Measles, Mumps, Rubella

If you are sure that you have been vaccinated against the measles, mumps, and rubella you can have titers drawn. A sample of your blood will be tested to determine the status of your immunity.

Tetanus, Diphtheria

If you do not have documentation proving that you have been vaccinated against tetanus and diphtheria you will have to be re-immunized.

Hepatitis B

If you do not have documentation to support that you have been immunized against Hepatitis B you can have titers drawn, be re-immunized, or sign a waiver stating you do not wish to do so.

Meningitis (Meningococcal)

If you do not have documentation to support that you have been immunized against meningitis you may either be re-immunized or sign a waiver stating you do not wish to do so.


All students must submit the Tuberculosis screening questionnaire.

A titer is a laboratory test that measures the presence and amount of antibodies in blood. A titer may be used to prove immunity to disease. A blood sample is taken and tested.

If the test is positive (above a particular known value) the individual has immunity. If the test is negative (no immunity) or equivocal (not enough immunity) you need to be vaccinated.

A Titer Lab Report is generated by the lab that tested the blood sample. The Titer Lab Report must include the test type, exact values, signature, and date.

Students should contact their health insurance provider to check their insurance coverage for immunizations and titers. Student Health Services cannot guarantee coverage, payment or reimbursement by your insurance company.

Students who have purchased the Aetna Student Health Insurance plan have necessary immunizations and/or titers covered at 100% at Student Health Services. Details can be found in your Plan Details and Summary.

Yes. All students, part-time, full-time, degree, and non-degree students, living on or off campus, must submit immunization records in order to attend classes at George Mason University.

Yes, all Mason students are required to submit their immunization records.

No. You will be unable to register without an up-to-date tetanus and diphtheria booster. The booster must be administered every 10 years. Students receiving their decennial booster must receive Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), or Td.

You can schedule an appointment with Student Health Services (703-993-2135) for your immunizations for a minimal fee. You can also receive immunization from your healthcare provider or local health department.

According to Virginia State Law, students under the age of 21 must receive a dose of meningococcal vaccine at or after their 16th birthday, or sign a waiver indicating that they do not wish to be vaccinated against the disease and understand the risks.

Signing the waiver does not mean a student cannot be vaccinated in the future.

According to Virginia State Law, students must either be immunized against Hepatitis B,  or show proof of positive immunity, or sign a waiver indicating that they do not wish to be vaccinated against the disease and understand the risks. Students must complete a series of 3 injections before they are considered completely immune to Hepatitis B.

Signing the waiver does not mean a student cannot be vaccinated in the future.

Yes, these are childhood immunizations and usually provide lifelong immunity, provided it was administered after 1967 and after your first birthday.

Please note that all students must show documentation that they have had two doses of the Measles, two doses of the Mumps and two doses of the Rubella vaccine.

A history of disease is NOT accepted as proof of immunization. It is recommended to have titers drawn to verify sufficient immunity. If immunity is not positive, you will be required to receive MMR vaccinations.

The Tuberculin (TB) screening is conducted through a questionnaire where the student identifies any possible risk factors for tuberculosis infection and disease. This is part of the Immunization Record Form and all students must submit the TB screening.

Tuberculin (TB) testing is a procedure for diagnosis of Latent TB Infection. This test is performed by either a tuberculin skin test or a blood test (T-Spot or QuantiFeron).

If a tuberculin (TB) skin test is required for you, the test must be less than 6 months old from the first day of classes at Mason. A tuberculin skin test, a quantiferon blood test, or a t-spot test will be accepted to meet the requirement.

If you have documentation of a previous positive TB test, only provide documentation of history and a chest x-ray report. Provide documentation of medication if taken.

Yes. A Quantiferon test (QFT) is acceptable instead of the tuberculin skin test. If you choose the blood test, please send a copy of the lab report with your immunization records.

Student Health Insurance

Briefly stated, first you must meet your annual deductible ($250 for the plan year). This deductible is a cumulative total to any and all healthcare providers, outside of Student Health Services.  After you have paid your annual deductible, when you go to a “preferred care provider” (a doctor that accepts the Aetna Student Health insurance) then Aetna will pay 80% and you will pay 20% of covered healthcare costs.

For complete coverage and plan details, including the prescription medication copays,  please review the Student Health Insurance Summary of Benefits and Coverage. For questions, contact Aetna Customer Service (1-800-878-1945) or the Student Health Insurance Office (703-993-2827 or 703-993-7634).

For general information how health insurance works, visit our Health Insurance Resources webpage.

For a complete plan description, including covered services, please review the current year Student Health Insurance Summary of Benefits and Coverage. If you have any questions about coverage, contact Aetna Customer Service (1-800-878-1945). Visit the Insurance webpages for details and to view the current plan design summary.

In general, the plan provides extensive coverage at a reasonable cost on and off-campus. It provides coverage anywhere in the U.S. and while traveling abroad, including worldwide travel assistance and emergency air transportation services. The plan also includes dental and vision discount programs.

Domestic Students

You pay when you enroll online at the Aetna Student Health website.

International and INTO Students

You pay your health insurance premium through George Mason University via Patriot Web because the premium is charged to your tuition account. The insurance premium is due at your tuition due date.

Please note that the insurance premium is deducted from all payments received by the university before funds are applied to tuition and other charges

Your insurance will terminate at the end of the health insurance term.

Date Insurance Coverage Ends

  • Domestic Students: August 15
  • International and INTO Students:
    • In Fall: January 4
    • In Spring: August 15

For example, if you are an International or INTO student and graduate in the fall semester, your health insurance will end January 4.  If you are an International or INTO student and graduate in the spring semester, your health insurance will end August 15. Domestic students’ coverage will end August 15, regardless of fall or spring graduation.

Insurance and healthcare resources for Mason Graduates

Domestic Students

Yes, though it is recommended that you first contact your health insurance company.  Let them know that you will be a student at George Mason University and check that you will be covered in the Northern Virginia area. You may also want to contact your insurance provider to locate local doctors who accept your insurance.

You might also age-off your parent’s insurance while at Mason. If you are covered by your parents’ policy, please review it carefully to make certain you are still eligible for coverage throughout your college years. Read more about what to do if you age off your parent’s plan.

International Students

International students (F-1/J-1 visa), who want to keep their insurance plan, should carefully read all insurance waiver criteria. Your insurance plan must meet all the requirements and you must submit your waiver by the waiver deadline.  If you meet all requirements, you can fill out the waiver application.  If you are not sure that your insurance plan meets the waiver criteria, contact the Insurance Office (703-993-2827 or 703-993-7634).

Note: All waiver applications will be audited.  Student Health Services reserves the right to make final waiver decisions.

The time and financial commitment required to obtain a formal education is an invaluable investment in your future. No one plans to get sick or injured. Health insurance can offer some protection and help you cover unexpected and potentially high medical costs that could negatively impact your health and potentially your financial future. Health insurance also allows individuals to seek early treatment for illness.  Students without insurance tend to stay sick longer, placing family, friends and our Mason community, at risk. George Mason University makes health insurance available to eligible students through Aetna Student Health.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) was passed in 2010 in the U.S.  The following information is taken directly from regarding the individual shared responsibility payment, which may impact a student or family. “If you can afford health insurance but choose not to buy it, you must pay a fee called the individual shared responsibility payment. In some cases, you may qualify for a health coverage exemption from the requirement to have insurance.” Visit to learn more.

The Mason Student Health Insurance Plan has been developed especially for Mason students. The plan provides coverage for illnesses and injuries locally and when you travel either domestically or abroad. The Mason plan is accepted by many local healthcare providers. Check out all the details at Aetna Student Health.

For information about commonly used insurance terms, please read the definitions located in the Aetna Student Health brochure or visit Aetna online.

If you have questions about your coverage or other terms, contact Aetna Customer Service (1-800-878-1945). You can also contact the George Mason University Student Health Insurance office (703-993-2827 or 703-993-7634).

There is a video explaining general health insurance terms on our Student Health insurance resources webpage.

For questions about the Student Health Insurance Plan you can contact Aetna Student Health Customer Service (1-800-878-1945) or the Insurance Office (703-993-2827 or 703-993-7634).

For pharmacy or prescription questions, you can contact Aetna Pharmacy Management (1-888-792-3862).

University Policy #6002 outlines F-1 and J-1 Health Insurance Requirements.

No. All currently enrolled George Mason University students are eligible to be seen at Student Health Services whether they have insurance or not. There is no charge to be seen by a healthcare provider, there are fees for supplies, immunizations, lab work,  medications, and some procedures.

Student Health does not bill health insurance. However, if you have health insurance you may use it for outside lab fees, so bring your health insurance card if you have one to your appointment.

Students who have the Aetna Student Health insurance plan do have 100% coverage for services listed in the Plan Design and Benefits document if provided at Mason’s Student Health Services.