Student Health Insurance International Students
Health Insurance Requirement for International F-1 & J-1 Visa Students
Summer Insurance Waiver
SUMMER 2013 online waiver application: Please contact the Insurance Office for details.
The waiver deadline is your tution deadline.
For waiver application requirements, please see the details below. Your insurance must meet exemption requirement A or B, and offer the equivalent coverage of 1-5. If you have any questions, contact the Insurance office.
FALL 2013 online waiver application opens early July 2013.
You must apply for an insurance waiver each Academic Year. Your insurance waiver will not roll over to the next Academic Year.
Waiver Application Requirements
If you have a qualifying health insurance policy and wish to be exempted from the Mason Student Health Insurance Plan, you must apply for an insurance waiver.
Due to the Health Care Reform this information is subject to change as regulations are issued and interpretation evolves.
You may apply for an exemption . . .
- If the student has a scholarship or government sponsored program that provides an U.S. health insurance plan for the student. (National health coverage and/or travel insurance do not meet these criteria.); OR
- If the student, student’s spouse or parent, has a United States employer who provides health insurance for the student.
The equivalent coverage (under A or B) must also offer:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
- The annual deductible does not exceed $500;
- The policy is valid until August 15, 2013 (Summer 2013); for Fall 2013 the policy must be valid until August 15, 2014.
- The cost of medical evacuation ($10,000) and repatriation ($7,500) back to your home country. If your plan does not meet this criteria, you may purchase it online during the waiver application.
- Your insurance plan must have NO Exclusion related to:
- Pre-exisiting Conditions
- Alcohol, Drug Abuse or Detoxification Treatment
- Self-inflicted injuries while sane, insane, or suicide.
Waiver applications will be audited by Aetna Student Health. Student Health Services reserves the right to make a final waiver decision.
Online waivers take 2 weeks to process.
Submit your application by your tuition payment due date.
To verify approval of your application, please check your Patriot Web account at https://patriotweb.gmu.edu. If your application was approved, the balance of the Mason student health insurance premium will be $0.
- All J-1 visa students are required under Federal mandate to have health insurance in order to attend classes. George Mason University requires J-1 and F-1 visa status students to have health insurance coverage. Therefore, Mason will automatically enroll F-1 and J-1 visa students into a health plan. The premium appears as a charge on your tuition account.
- Visiting faculty and scholars with a J-1 visa at George Mason University are also eligible to enroll.
- English Language Institute students are eligible to enroll.
- Students on any other visa type: please see information for Domestic Students.
The American healthcare system has grown increasingly complex and costly. Unlike domestic students, many of whom benefit from being dependents of their parents’ often robust insurance plans, international students typically purchase insurance independently. Since many of the plans marketed abroad do not provide adequate coverage, many international students are underinsured. This is especially perilous since international students cannot avail themselves of any public subsidies for healthcare, such as Medicaid or similar relief programs. Unexpected medical expenses can jeopardize the ability to complete your education.
The George Mason University Plan is specifically designed for Mason students, individual students might benefit from other policies. Please review carefully the insurance brochure with special attention to coverage, exclusions, and limitations.
Visiting faculty and scholars with a J-1 visa at George Mason University are also eligible to enroll.
All English Language Institute students are eligible to enroll.
The deadline is June 15, 2013.
If you have dependents that you would like to enroll on your George Mason University Student Health Plan, please do so by June 15, 2013.
Students whose dependents arrive in the US after the enrollment deadline and wish to be added to the Mason plan: please contact the Insurance Office. Dependents may be signed up within 31 days upon arrival in the US.
Note: the student must be enrolled in the George Mason University Plan in order to add dependents.
The Aetna Student Health Home Page
DocFind: Provider Listings including Pharmacies, Hospitals, Vision, Dental, etc.
Aetna Student Health’s Customer Service
Please complete our Patient Satisfaction Survey!
Student Health Insurance
2012-2013 Annual Insurance Plan Effective Dates: 8/16/12 - 8/15/13
Annual Premium $2,155
It will be divided into 2 payments:
Fall: 8/16/2012-1/4/2013: $844
Spring/Summer: 1/5/2013 - 8/15/2013: $1,311